Monday, April 30, 2012

Baby Gear: Help!!!

Ok, so I need some advice from all of the mother's out there.  I am losing sleep over baby gear. I know it is silly.  I lay awake and think about all of the things we need and which products are the best and safest.  I know that is crazy, especially since I am only 14 weeks and still have a long way to go.  I like to plan and be organized so I want to get things picked out now so that I can enjoy pregnancy later on and not be as stressed.  So if you have any helpful information on any of these items please let me know!  There are just sooooo many options out there! 

Cribs:  Every time I look online at cribs I end up with a headache.  There are so many options it makes my head hurt!  Do you get a regular crib or do you go with a crib that converts all the way to a full size bed?  I have a few in mind that I like, but I can't seem to pull the trigger.  I like the babyletto brand because they seem to be simple and modern. 

Strollers:  As most of you know I am a runner and plan to start running again after having the baby as soon as my doctor will let me.  Do I need to just get a nice jogging stroller and go with a cheaper regular stroller for everyday use?  I like the BOB strollers that I have seen online, but still want to go play with one in person.  Should I get just a snap and go frame that will work with the car seat?

Car seat:  This one kind of goes with the stroller issue.  I like the Chicco brand for this item, but has anyone used one and had problems with it?

Bassinett:  We plan to use a bassinett in our room until we move the baby to their crib.  I don't plan to spend a lot of money on this one because we will not be using it for very long.  Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Rocker/Glider: I like the chair's that look more like a recliner.  Babies R Us has a few that we like for this item. 

I think those are my biggest worries so far.  I am sure that I will have more once we find out the gender! 

3 comments:

  1. Not silly at all to be thinking/obsessing about all of this! There are a million things you can't control, so at least keeping your mind occupied makes the time go faster. :)

    My absolute favorite book: Baby Bargains. These folks have done all the pricing, safety research, and scouring of the market for you. They cover just about everything. Highly recommend grabbing that book first. Also, consumer reports has a good baby book too. But I thought Baby Bargains covered way more.

    My opinions (which can be tossed aside):
    Bassinett: Opt for a pack n play. You'll get WAY more use out of it for the money. And if you travel, you'll probably want to take it with you.

    We really like our Bob. Although not avid joggers, it's a beautiful ride. However, I love having a small umbrella stroller (we have a Mia Moda facile) for quick trips to stores, church, etc. Takes up less space in the car. And the BOB is a PAIN on planes. They will make you check it.

    Sign up for Amazon Mom and their subscribe and save programs on items you'll use frequently. We buy our diapers from them because we're pretty brand loyal to Luvs. Target is pretty price comparable to them too, but we've never used their brand. But many people swear by them too.

    Garage sales - hit them up this summer! We found a swing and activity center for super cheap and in excellent condition. They outgrow things so fast.

    Finally, baby only needs love, clothing, protection, food, and you. You'll be surprised at what you won't need to raise a baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I agree. Not silly at all. The day we went to start registering, I just about cried. So many decisions to make!

    Crib - We got our crib from Toys 'R Us. It coverts to a toddler bed, but I don't think it goes any further than that. So far, we like it. We got all of our other nursery furniture from Ashley Furniture though.

    Bassinett - We were given a Fisher Price Newborn Rock 'n Play Sleeper. Our little guy loved it! It's nice because it's small and it folds up when you are done with it. We started with that and then transitioned to the pack-n-play and then the crib.

    Stroller - We have the Baby Trend Jogger stroller system. I love it!! But, I'm not a jogger and I have heard that some people find it a little wobbly when jogging with it. I don't know about that though. I haven't tried it. Even for quick trips I like to have it instead of a smaller one because I use the storage room for the diaper bag and a water bottle for me and other random things. We just traveled to Illinois with our stroller and they let us check it for free with the car seat at the terminal. It was waiting for us when we got off the plane. Really easy for us.

    Also, a lot of places that offer baby registries will send out coupons after your due date so that you can pick up things you didn't think you'd need or didn't receive. That was nice for us.

    When we were trying to decide what to register for and get, we had some friends that let us come look at what they had. It was really helpful to see their stuff in person and to talk to them about what they liked and used. We live in Branson, but if you ever want to come over, let us know. We'd love to help.
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Holly! Here are some of our experiences and tips with twins!

    1) Convertible bed is the way to go. More expense up front, but you will never have to buy another bed for baby again. The brand we got was Munire (http://www.munirefurniture.com/). They are solid mahogany and mahogany veneer. They are beautiful! They sell them at Bella Baby.

    2) Car seats and strollers. We had infant car seats (like Chicco, graco) and they were great for the first year. Then we bought convertable car seats (at Big Lots) because they outgrew the infant. The stroller/car seat combo is great for the first year and to go shopping with. We also had a double jogging stroller for hiking and running. Honestly, I would suggest you get both.

    3) My honest opinion is that a bassinett is a waste of money. A pack in play is definitely the way to go! It is so easily stored and moved for trips. We still have ours for when our niece comes to stay the night and she sleeps in it. We took our pack n plays everywhere. It's also awesome for the lake, beach, hotels, pool areas, etc.

    4)Once in the fall and spring is the Mother of Multiples garage sale held at High Street Baptist Church. They are usually in Sept and Apr. It's AMAZING!!! Since we needed 2 pack in plays I found one there, unused, for $35!!! They are normally in excess of $150. It's amazing. Hit it up. It's quality stuff for sure, they don't take crappy items.

    5) Glider/rocker. I loved my glider. Just go around and sit in a bunch to see what is comfortable for you to sit in. You will do a lot of rocking and honestly may spend a night or two (or many) sleeping in that chair with a baby on your chest...make sure it's comfy!

    6) Make sure you have tylenol, ibuprofen, and mylicon gas drops on hand at all times. Oh, and baby ambesol for teething. The gas drops help ease their gassy tummies and you can give them as much as needed. My pediatrician said they could accidently swallow the entire bottle and it wouldn't 'hurt' them.

    Let me know if you want to pick my brain any more!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete